Monday, April 12, 2010

ugh...stubborn eating!!

So, I struggled with the kids today. They refused...absolutely refused...to eat anything.

Kai woke up asking for chocolate milk. I of course said no. Then he asked for chocolate cereal. Once again, no. They ate apple sauce and gf/cf/sf waffles. I really ran out of time this morning.

I did make them lunch, old staple of cashews, snap peas, carrots, and some organic raw cheese. Wouldn't you know it...they refused.

What shocked me was that less than five minutes later, my son spotted candy on my parents counter and asked for it. My mom looked at me and said, "he saw this and said he wanted it, so I'm going to give it to him." I told her no and she tried to make an excuse for why it was okay and because it wasn't hidden, that he should have it. She'll hide it better next time was her response to me!!

We had a serious talk later that evening. She watches my daughter in the mornings and my daughter has been getting a little rounder, which is my biggest annoyance...overweight children. In my opinion, it's bad parenting, yes feeding your children crap is bad parenting, it hinders their bodies, mind, and spirit in so many ways. My daughter is in no way considered overweight, but she's getting close. My mom's excuse was, "well, she's always hungry and asking for food. Okay, from now on, I'll only feed her when she asks me." I told her that she needs to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner with two snacks. Not all the time all day long. I mean my mom and her literally eat nonstop. That's my mom's issue and she's starting to give it to my daughter.

So, we had all gone to the park and when my mom got back in the car, very seriously she says,"you're right, Johnnie was the chubbiest child at the park." THANK YOU!! Finally, she noticed that she'd been slowly changing my daughter with food. So hopefully, she'll be able to show some restraint. She has her for six more weeks and then she will never babysit her again. The summer comes and then she'll start school in August.

Oh yeah, my little stubborn children. So they refused to eat their lunch. Snack time came. Right before the park. "No, we're not hungry." Okay, let's go to the park. We came back from the park. "We're hungry," they tweeted. I gave them the same food. Guess what...yup...not a scrap left on their plate. Ate it all, just in time for bed and their vitamins.

Sleep well my little babies.

1 comment:

  1. just keep the consistency and firm love going! your really setting a good example for future health contentious parents and its awesome!

    ReplyDelete